Sunday, May 6, 2007

Oldies but Goodies

I was reviewing entries I wrote last year from a Journal I kept. Here are some books that I read, reviewed and recommend.

Angels and Demons by Dan Brown. A number of people told me it was better than The Da Vinci Code. It started a little slow but picked up dramatically from the middle of the story to the terrific ending.

Serpent on the Rock by Kurt Eichenwald. This tale covered the 80’s and early 90’s scandal at Prudential Securities. What fascinates me is how a large number of employees allowed themselves to be bullied and blackmailed into condoning and even promoting fraud on investors, mainly elderly. What also fascinates me is how a significant number of incompetents managed to get executive and leadership positions at Prudential.

Chasing Daylight: How My Forthcoming Death Transformed My Life by Eugene O’Kelly. O’Kelly was the CEO at KPMG who was diagnosed with terminal cancer and died within three and a half months of the announcement. The book was primarily about the art of dying though O’Kelly did offer some advice about how to live. O’Kelly did describe his goal of pursuing Perfect Moments and Perfect Days. For example, he described having a four hour dinner, good wine and conversation with friends as a perfect moment.

Last Dance: Behind the Scenes at the Final Four by John Feinstein. Feinstein had a number of great anecdotes, particularly about coaches involved in the Final Four tournament. I enjoy Feinstein’s writing and story telling talents.

No comments: