Sunday, May 27, 2007

Man in the Middle by Brian Haig



I generally do not read books that are 450 pages, particularly fiction. They require a commitment of time and interest that I usually lack.

However I really enjoyed Man in the Middle. Excellent story. It starts out as a murder mystery and then moves to a spy story. It offered political intrigue based on events that had or are continuing in Iraq. It also offered a unique perspective on the US involvement within that country. So I found the story informative, entertaining, and thought provoking.

The main character, Sean Drummond, a CIA agent, is sardonic, vulnerable, roguish, and incorruptible. He survives by his wit, not by his fists or any secret gadgets. If there is a movie version of the book, I think Bruce Willis can play his character very well.

Drummond finds a love interest and challenge in Bian Tran, a beautiful and mysterious Army Military Police Officer who is also involved in the case. I like Lucy Liu to play her character.

There are plenty of swerves. You'll need a scorecard to track the good guys and the bad guys. It's a great book for the beach...

No comments: