Edward Luce has written an excellent book Time to Start Thinking: America in the Age of Descent. Unless you have been living under a rock or all your information comes from Fox News, Luce presents a pretty convincing and sobering appraisal of the economic, political and cultural circumstances that Americans find themselves now.
In many ways it is a depressing book. How could the United States lose its many competitive advantages? How can we get back on track? It won't be easy if it's even possible.
I have provided some excerpts below to give you a flavor of Luce's research and analysis.
Sunday, June 17, 2012
Saturday, June 2, 2012
You can find a number of blogs that offer great advice. As someone nearing 60, I could not agree more with the advice in this post. I think many people neglect #s 3 and 7 on the list below and suffer much regret because of them.
- Not spending enough time smiling with the people you love.
- Holding a grudge and never forgiving someone you care about.
- Fulfilling everyone else’s dreams, instead of your own.
- Not being honest about how you feel.
- Being foolish and irresponsible with your finances.
- Getting caught up in needless drama and negativity.
- Never making your own happiness a priority.
- Never making a difference in the lives of others.
- Failing because you were scared to fail.
Frankly from a reading experience, I'd rather read from a hardcover or paperback. Given that no hard copy has to be produced, I expect a much better price if I order through Kindle.