Sunday, April 15, 2007

"Pistol" Shoots an Air Ball



I was a big fan of "Pistol" Pete Maravich in my youth. I remember the game between LSU and Kentucky where he dueled with Dan Issel. The Pistol had a great game but LSU lost. I tried (miserably) to copy his shot and passing skills. I did wear floppy socks liked Pete did but it never helped my game. I think Pete is one of the three best "white" players I ever saw on the hardwoods.

So I looked forward to Mark Kriegel's Pistol: The Life of Pete Maravich. While the book captured the demons and flaws that plagued Pete Maravich in his career and life, I never sensed that the author appreciated the Pistol's basketball genius or style, particularly in his days at LSU. I found the book very dark and joyless.

The book was like a 3 for 10 shooting night, OK but not spectacular....

No comments: