Wednesday, September 21, 2011

I Can Resist Everything Except Temptation-- Oscar Wilde

Since I exhibit so little lately, I read Willpower: Rediscovering the Greatest Human Strength by Roy Baumeister  and John Tierney. I learned a few things to help improve my willpower such as:

  • Decision making depletes your willpower. If your work requires you to make hard decisions all day long, you will reach a point where you will be depleted.
  • Willpower is finite.
  • Since stress decreases willpower, focus on one project at a time.
  • To lose weight, set realistic goals, monitor your progress by a log, weigh yourself every day and brush your teeth early in the evening to discourage late night snacking.

This book provides tips to improve your willpower that are backed by science and research. It's not just another self help tome. Easy to read. The authors use some great examples to get their points across.

No comments: