Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Literacy Debate: Online RU Really Reading

Very interesting and thought provoking New York Times article by Motoko Rich.

There is a generational divide on how we get information and read for knowledge and pleasure. Is the Internet responsible for declining literacy?

As an avid book and web reader, I never differentiated that content from books constituted reading and from the web represented something less. I spend much more time reading from websites and blogs than I do from books, magazines or newspapers. I think I'm discriminating enough to know what content is crap and what represents useful content on the Internet.

“What the Net seems to be doing is chipping away my capacity for concentration and contemplation,” he wrote, confessing that he now found it difficult to read long books."

The above quote came from Nicholas Carr, an author. I never gave that idea much thought before regarding my reading habits but it may be true. I have less patience in struggling with long books or complicated content. I had attributed my lack of patience with my age and declining intellectual and mental stamina if a book did not grab me.

However internet content is ideal for skimming. It may even be fast food for the brain...

No comments: