Sunday, May 4, 2008

The Accidental Investment Banker by Jonathan A. Knee

Knee's book is part history, part expose, and part primer on what investment banking is all about. I liked the book but will admit that I skimmed through the parts of it that dealt with the mechanics of how deals are structured and completed.

I was more interested in reading about the personalities, culture and politics at Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley in the 90's and turn of the 21st century. I was particularly interested in reading about Knee's comments about current NJ Governor, Jon Corzine, who served as Chairman and CEO of Goldman Sachs.

(Knee also shared two entertaining and separate stories about Bill Clinton and Margaret Thatcher who made presentations to the bankers.)

I'd recommend this book highly to any college or MBA graduate considering investment banking as a career. This book may help them reconsider....

No comments: