Saturday, November 10, 2007

On God: An Uncommon Conversation by Norman Mailer with Michael Lennon

Norman Mailer died today.

So it's ironic that I finish his book on his thoughts about God, religion, the devil, the soul and the afterlife.

To be honest, I did not understand Mailer's God. Mailer's God is not all powerful, all good and all knowing. Mailer's God makes mistakes. Mailer says that God is "not a perfect engineer."

Mailer's God is one that I have never been introduced or read about.

Mailer believes in the devil and argues that the devil is almost as powerful as God.

In this book, I read what I considered some wise and thoughtful observations. However I also found much of this book to be more high brow than my intellectual capabilities and interests. Mailer does 0ffer some unusual thinking about souls, reincarnation and the afterlife.

Not an easy book to read or understand....

No comments: