Sunday, July 15, 2007

Best Damn Sports Books

It's been awhile since I read or looked forward to a sports related book.

Here's my list of books (many from distant memory) that I have enjoyed.

Almost anything by John Feinstein including:

* The Last Amateurs

* A March to Madness

* Season on the Brink

* Next Man Up: A Year Behind the Lines in Today's NFL


Other excellent sports books that I have enjoyed:

Friday Night Lights: A Town, A Team and A Dream by HG Bissinger

Instant Replay by Jerry Kramer (I think this is one of the best sports books I have ever read. Kramer, a right guard for the Green Bay Packers provides a lot of insight into 1960's football and Coach Vince Lombardi).

Paper Lion by George Plimpton

Unforgivable Blackness: The Rise and Fall of Jack Johnson by Geoffrey C. Ward

The Complete Book of Running by Jim Fixx (This book was extremely influential in promoting running and jogging in the 70's)

The Miracle of St. Anthony: A Season with Coach Bob Hurley and Basketball's Most Improbable Dynasty by Adrian Wojnarowski

Seven Days to Sunday by Eliot Asinof (Out of print- detailed a week in the season of the NY Giants under Allie Sherman long ago)

No comments: