Thursday, January 12, 2017

Thank You for Being Late: An Optimist's Guide To Thriving In The Age of Acceleration by Tom Friedman

Thank You for Being Late: An Optimist's Guide To Thriving In The Age of AccelerationsThank You for Being Late: An Optimist's Guide To Thriving In The Age of Accelerations by Thomas L. Friedman
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I enjoyed Tom Friedman's articles in the New York Times and his observations and comments in various other media including the new shows. It took me a while to read the book ( 460 pages) but it was well worth my time and effort. What this book was about mostly was "change." Changes in technology, culture, climate change, politics and globalization have been overwhelming, particularly in the last 10 years. Friedman uses 2007 as a jumping off point for his review and observations regarding change. 2007 was the release of the iPhone and various other technology changes occurred during that year.

I particularly enjoyed Friedman's thoughts on careers and jobs. Young people must prove themselves to be very adaptable to change, market themselves effectively and pursue lifelong learning. A college or high school degree will not get you very far in today's business world or in the future.

In some ways I am envious. I have retired so I have no way of testing how well I would or will do in this type of accelerated change. This is a great book for young business oriented people and college graduates to read.

Regrettably I think that the election of 2016 proves that too many Americans are not adapting to change or the realities affecting their careers and life.


View all my reviews

No comments: