Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Summer Book Buffett

So many books, blogs, magazines, newspapers and so little time...

Sadly I have started a number of books that I did not finish or I quickly scarfed through like a hurried and hungry man at a buffet sampling the entire menu...

For example:

Crisis Economics: A Crash Course in the Future of Finance by Nouriel Roubini was a good read for an economics and finance book. Roubini has received a lot of praise for his analysis and predictions prior the financial meltdown...

I skimmed through a novel, Imperial Bedrooms by Brett Ellis, as if I held a fast forward button in turning the pages. I saw the author on Morning Joe and picked up the book from the library. I did skim to the end of the book as I was curious how the story and Clay's obsession with a young actress would end. I bet they make this as a movie sometime soon.

I may go back and spend more time reading the biography Pulitzer: A Life in Politics, Print and Power by James McGrath Morris as it piqued my interest even on a quick peek inside the book.

I re-read Disclosure by Michael Crichton in about two days. I remember reading it over 20 years ago in less than a day. The book is as good or maybe a bit better than the movie. It has plenty of corporate intrigue, dirty corporate political tricks, sex and an evil woman temptress. It's an oldie but a goodie.

I tried to get through Spies of the Balkans by Alan Furst as it was recommended by one of my colleagues at work. I usually like novels based in the World War II period but I could not pick this book up after I put it down. Likewise I could not get into Helmet for My Pillow: From Parris Island to the Pacific by Robert Leckie. Both books have been widely praised so the blame is on me...

No comments: