Saturday, June 7, 2008

007=9.0+

Bond is back! Better than ever? Hmmm, maybe…

I was very anxious to buy Devil May Care by Sebastian Faulks. It’s been a long time since I read a James Bond novel. The last one I read was authored by Raymond Benson. I had previously read all the Bond novels by Ian Fleming and John Gardner.

This Bond adventure was very good. It is great escapist fun for any man. There is action, violence, beautiful women, travel, sex, evil villains and a decent plot. I read some criticism that the book started slow and I agree it did. But Bond is such a fascinating character, that the descriptions of what he eats, how he dresses and what he does to stay in shape is very interesting.

Bond faces off against Dr. Julius Gortner, an egomaniac in the legacy of Dr. No and Goldfinger. Bond first engages Dr. Gortner in a tennis game that may remind readers of Bond’s golf challenge against Goldfinger.

The Bond girl in the novel is Scarlet Papava, who provides a number of interesting twists in the story. Keep in mind that the novel takes place in the late 1960’s, about the time of Ian Fleming’s last Bond adventure.

Bond appears a bit more vulnerable in this adventure. He’s even mulling retirement. He’s a shade slower and more reflective.

As for me, I hope James Bond never retires. I hope it’s not another 10 years between Bond novels. I enjoyed this book and look forward to more from Faulks.

No comments: