Thursday, June 7, 2007

Blame It on The Sopranos

I struggled with two books this past week. I just could not get into them and each new page wasn't an invitation to enjoyment as much as it was a chore. Sometimes the books suck. Sometimes I'm not in the right frame of mind or receptive for reading.

I usually give an author 30-40 pages to hook me (maybe more if I bought the book).

I sped read Black Maps, a John March novel by Peter Spiegelman. March is a hard boiled NYC PI who is as comfortable using his fists as he is understanding the intricacies of the financial world where this case occurs. I wouldn't say this is an easy beach read as it slows in certain spots. The reader will get an education in financial services operations and practices as well as a good mystery story. I fast forwarded to the end of the book...

I hope to return to Buddha Is As Buddha Does: The Ten Original Practices for Enlightened Living by Lama Surya Das. I just wasn't receptive to the Buddha's teachings this week...

I have to admit that I'm much more interested in seeing the finale of The Sopranos than I am in reading....

No comments: