Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Ten Best Non-Fiction Books I Read in 2013



While my non-fiction reading tastes are relatively eclectic, they generally reflect my current attitude and interests at this present time. As I get older, I tend to read books that make me more reflective and introspective. My list below contains books on psychology, history, business, philosophy, and sports. They informed, entertained, and made me think.

The first two books reflect my never-ending pursuit of self-improvement. The older I get, the better I want to think and improve my judgment.

I included the Julian Barnes book because it was so well written and reached within my heart and soul. The author is not much older than me but he describes his life after the death of his beloved wife.  

Regrettably it seems, the older I get, the harder I find it to read what I consider a five-star book. I am always looking for the book with new ideas, perspectives and information. My breadth of interests and topics has narrowed also.




Mastermind: How to Think Like Sherlock Holmes by Maria Konnikova

Levels of Life by Julian Barnes

No Easy Day: The First Hand Story of the Mission that Killed Osama bin Laden by Mark Owen

What Money Can't Buy: The Moral Limits of the Markets  by Michael J. Sandel

Big Data: A Revolution that Will Transform How We Live,  Work and Think by Viktor Mayer-Schonberger and  Kenneth Cukier 

Leadocracy: Hiring More Great Leaders Like You into Public Service by Geoff Smart

The System:  The Glory and Scandal of Big-time College Football by Jeff Benedict and Armen Keteyian

Double Down: Game Change 2012 by Mark Halperin and John Heilemann

The Unwinding: a Inner History of the New America by George Packer





No comments: