Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Spiritual Envy: An Agnostic's Quest by Michael Krasny

When I saw the title of the book, I knew I had to read it. I also experience spiritual envy. Krasny describes the struggle and issues that "seekers" experience. I've excerpted some interesting points in the book:

"Agnosticism is a position that denies the existence of absolutes and hidden spiritual forces behind the natural or material world until they can be empirically proven. Agnosticism welcomes proof, craves it, demands it. It does not say there is no God. It also does not say there is one." (pg. 6)

"Studs Terkel, the famed oral historian, once told me that he was an agnostic and added that his definition of agnostic is a cowardly atheist."(pg. 65)

"Many in the past century addressed or wrote about agnosticism, including Pope Benedict XVI. The then Cardinal Ratzinger claimed that agnosticism was indicative of the desire for comfort. Since when do not knowing and uncertainty provide comfort?" (pg. 98)

Like Krasny, I began to question my religious beliefs in high school. In fact, it was spurred by my conversations (sometimes heated) with a priest who taught my Religion class. I envy my friends and people who have faith in God. One day, I hope to arrive at some type of resolution, but in the meantime, I resume my search for truth.

No comments: